This course includes all the organ recovery related phases and aims at providing healthcare professionals, experienced or in training stage, with the core skills, competences and resources required in organ donor coordination. It facilitates the switch from theoretical knowledge to practice, optimizes decision-making during organ procurement, boosts teamwork and promotes best practices exchange.
To provide participants with the fundamental knowledge, display of goals and sequence of actions to achieve organ recovery with optimal efficiency.
Healthcare professionals involved in any of the phases of the organ donation process, particularly in areas with high donors’ potentiality: intensive care units, postoperative recovery and emergency rooms.
Donor Detection System
Provides participants with the basic and most effective methods to detect potential donors and improve donor referrals.
Brain Death Diagnosis
Defines death and sets the requirements for brain death clinical determination and confirmatory tests.
Donor Management and Organ Viability
Provides participants with the skills required in brain death donor management, considering the pathophysiological changes that may frequently occur in brain death, with a direct impact on graft survival and transplantation outcomes.
Family approach for Organ Donation
Provides participants with the communication skills required to break bad news and approach the family to seek consent for organ donation.
Organ retrieval, organization, preservation and allocation criteria
Identifies the organ recovery procedures and preservation techniques as well as various equitable and transparent organ allocation systems and criteria.
Donation after Circulatory Death
It describes the categories and criteria, states
the concept of warm ischemia, defines perfusion techniques, assess the viability
of organs and includes the ethical and legal aspects.
- The course follows an online methodology, combining both synchronous and asynchronous learning.Students will have access to our virtual platform with a unique user and password. The contents are divided in different topics and are delivered gradually according to the calendar. Each topic is guided by a team of national and International healthcare professionals with a high level of expertise in the field.The course features the following items and activities:Asynchronous:
- Easily downloadable written content
- Forum discussions
- Test after each topic and Final Evaluation Test at the end of the course
- Cross Curricular Group Activity
- Live Webinar Lectures every week (interactive clinical cases with televoting system, video analysis, virtual games, round tables)
- Virtual team building activities in small groups (Donorplus, Action Learning)
- Networking sessions
The course will approximately require 10-12h hours dedication a week. Asynchronous activities are designed to be done at your own pace, however, always respecting the deadlines. On the other hand, synchronous activities will require attendance at a scheduled time.
This flexible and interactive online learning methodology is focused on promoting a continuous building of knowledge and skills and putting it into practice.
The working language is English.
This online training will be awarded with 10 ECTS accredited by TPM – Universitat de Barcelona (UB) after successful completion of the course.
The course is part of the TPM educational modular structure composed by different training itineraries that may end up with a Masters’ degree.
Regular fee: 2.000€
Early bird fee: 1.800€ by September 2nd 2022